General Machinist - Leslie Barns (J.O#11027ie)
Last Day to Apply: November 09, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
GENERAL MACHINIST – LESLIE BARNS
STREETCAR MAINTENANCE & INFRASTRUCTURE DEPARTMENT
ATU, LOCAL 113
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy.
This position is classified as a swing day shift with Saturday/Sunday off days. (May be required to work at other locations)
- Complex work involved in the fabrication, modification and repair of a variety of parts used on tools, equipment and machinery, including rail vehicles used throughout the TTC
- Carrying-out accurate mathematical calculations necessary for the set-up and operation of a variety of machines, such as lathes, milling machines and grinders, in order to cut, shape, drill, turn or perform other machining operations to finish work pieces in accordance with specified dimensions and fine tolerance
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and/or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate of Qualification as a General Machinist (429A), issued by the Ontario Colleges of Trades
- Completion of Grade 12 or its recognized equivalent as determined by the Training Department, plus the successful completion of the apprenticeship training program for the General Machinist
- Must be able to pass tests set by the Operations Group which correspond to content to the knowledge, theory and/or practical requirements set out above
- Must be able to attend and successfully complete the Streetcar Rule Book course or the Shop Safety Recertification course
- Must provide a set of tools as per the established tool list.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Hourly Wage Range: $28.94 to $37.55 (Wage Group 10) – 40 Hour Work Week
*Plus a skilled trade premium of $0.75 per hour for all regular hours worked
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.