Legal Assistant (2) (Temp) (J.O#11012ie)
Last Day to Apply: November 09, 2018
Employment Type: Temporary Position
LEGAL ASSISTANT (2)
*This is a temporary opportunity for approximately 18 Months*
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy.”
We are currently seeking two temporary Legal Assistants.
- Reporting to two lawyers within the TTC Legal Department, you will be responsible for performing a variety of legal administrative functions and providing direct administrative assistance to two assigned solicitors
- Duties involve drafting pleadings and correspondence, drafting consent motion records and carrying out general litigation procedures within prescribed time limits in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Carrying out special assignments as directed; preparing a variety of legal documents, correspondence, reports and other materials
- Arranging meetings, discoveries and other hearings
- Monitoring and maintaining the progression of litigation files including discoveries, mediations, trials and arbitrations and performing a variety of other administrative functions for the Legal Department.
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Comprehensive knowledge of legal/office administration, concepts, practices, methods, procedures and equipment as well as research methods and techniques.
- Enrolment in or completion of a post-secondary education in a law clerk and/or legal administrative certificate/diploma program or the equivalent combined with broad work experience in a similar or related legal environment
- Must have a minimum of 1 to 5 years’ experience as a legal assistant or law clerk, preferably in the area of insurance defence litigation.
- Must have excellent administrative and typing skills and be proficient in the use of a PC and computer applications related to the work.
- Good knowledge of legal terminology and procedures involved in the progression of civil actions.
- Must be detail oriented and possess sound judgment, well-developed interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent organizational abilities to prioritize several work assignments simultaneously and meet critical time requirements
- Must have or rapidly acquire relevant knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $64,082.20 - $80,116.40 (Level 7SA) – 35 Hour Work Week
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.