General Accounting Coordinator (J.O#10905ie)
Last Day to Apply: November 09, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
GENERAL ACCOUNTING COORDINATOR
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy.
We are currently seeking a General Accounting Coordinator.
- Administering and controlling the TTC’s accounting and financial reporting general ledger (G/L) computer system;
- Maintaining TTC’s mainframe general ledger system and maintaining the TTC’s new SAP general ledger system;
- Creating and changing master data in SAP, ensuring synchronization of the changes in the two GL systems and coordinating the changes with administrators of other SAP modules and/or systems
- Maintaining, updating and controlling the chart of accounts, master files and control files in the G/L system
- Controlling the complete and accurate submission and processing of all manual journal vouchers (JVs) and G/L data collected through SharePoint forms into the G/L
- Performing the annual review of G/L users’ access and providing G/L transactional data to auditors
- Providing timely customer service to users of TTC’s G/L systems and financial reports
- Establishing requisite schedule for G/L postings
- Assisting ITS staff in troubleshooting and restoring data
- Preparing the journal entries, monthly and annual financial statements, budgets, variances, Board and Audit Committee reports for Toronto Coach Terminal Inc. (TCTI), TTC Insurance Company (TTCIC) and planning and co-ordinating the interim and year-end audits of TTCIC
- Responding to general ledger and financial information inquiries from personnel throughout the TTC and developing new reports based on users’ needs as required
- Preparing year-end working papers relating to significant year-end benefit and other liabilities for TTC’s annual financial statements and review by the external auditors
- Assisting the Manager- Financial Statements with various duties including preparation of the TTC financial information return for the City, surveys and statistical reports for external entities etc.
- Preparing the annual budget for the section and reporting on the expenditures and performance measurement variances throughout the year
- Participating TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Information Technology, or a relevant discipline, combined with several years of related work experience
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, policies and procedures and budgeting methods and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and must become very proficient in the use and maintenance of TTC’s G/L and related systems
- Knowledge of general liability and accident benefits insurance and ability to interpret actuarial reports used to estimate these liabilities
- Demonstrated ability to perform detailed work accurately
- Ability to communicate complex accounting and/or systems information or source of financial information to various levels of staff
- Sound judgement; strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills; good interpersonal skills as well as good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff, and effectively co-ordinate efforts of others to accomplish objectives is an asset
- Familiarity with the OARS attendance system, PPS, Risk Master and SharePoint is an asset
- Enrolment in or possession of a recognized accounting designation such as CPA, CA, CMA, CGA would be beneficial
- Knowledge of and experience in SAP S/4 Hana or Millennium Mainframe General Ledger systems, specifically functions related to financial reporting, cost centre hierarchies, master data maintenance and period close is an asset
- You must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Annual Salary Range: $80,007.20 - $100,027.20 (Level 9SA) - 35 hour work week
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.