Design Engineer- Electrical (J.O#10962ie)
Last Day to Apply: October 12, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
DESIGN ENGINEER – ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
ENGINEERING, CONSTRUCTION, & EXPANSION GROUP
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a Design Engineer – Electrical.
- Provides electrical engineering design services for all types of transit related structures and facilities, marks up drawings and specifications, stamps drawings for Building Code Permit applications, Bid and construction, and participates in all aspects of construction support
- Conducts design and development reviews, including reviewing Development Proposals and reviewing and formally commenting on designs, drawings and specifications prepared by outside consultants for new or renovation work
- Participates in design standards development, including researching, creating and updating TTC Design Standards
- Assists in the management of staff resources and workload by coordinating Engineering Technologists and Design Draftspersons to ensure work adequately progresses on several projects simultaneously
- Discusses design inputs within the Design Section and with other TTC departments, especially with peer groups within the TTC Operations Branch
- Provides construction support, shop drawing review including field review and inspection services for TTC construction and renovation projects
- Takes professional responsibility for designs as required by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- In-depth knowledge of electrical engineering (building services) principles, methods, and practices for the design and construction of major electrical systems related to transit facilities such as buildings, subway stations, carhouses, bus garages, shops
- Strong working knowledge of the electrical equipment, transformers, switchgear, equipment fault protection, control, annunciation, fire protection, lighting, emergency power, power distribution, associated equipment and systems with specific knowledge of their application to the TTC’s electrical building services and its facilities
- Comprehensive working knowledge of applicable codes/practices/standards including the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, Ontario Building Code, Electrical Safety Authority regulations, Canadian Standards Association applicable electrical standards, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and how they relate to TTC’s electrical systems and the associated electrical/electronic equipment
- Sound judgment; well-developed technical, analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, communication, and engineering report-writing skills
- Computer literate with a strong knowledge of computerized software applications related to the work, including familiarity with CADD MicroStation
- Must be licensed with the PEO as a P.Eng, supported by a University Degree or College Diploma in Electrical Engineering, specializing in electrical systems, combined with several years of directly related work experience in a multidisciplinary design environment
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Annual Salary Range: $80,007.20 - $100,027.20 (Level 9SA) – 35 Hour Work Week
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.