General Machinist (J.O#10938ie)
Last Day to Apply: September 18, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
BUILDING EQUIPMENT SUPERVISION
PLANT MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
ATU, LOCAL 113
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
- Complex work involved in the fabrication, modification and repair of a variety of metal parts and tools for use on equipment and machinery, including rail vehicles used throughout the TTC
- Calculations of dimensions and tolerances, the setup, adjustment and operation of machine tools which include lathes, milling machines, planer, shaper, cutters, drills etc. in order to produce and/or repair metal parts, tools and machines
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and/or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate of Qualification as a General Machinist (429A), issued by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
- Completion of Grade 12 or its recognized equivalent as determined by the Training Department, plus the successful completion of the apprenticeship training program for the General Machinist
- Must be able to pass tests set by the department that correspond in content to the knowledge, theory and/or practical requirements set out above
- Must possess a valid, non-probationary class G Driver’s License
- Must attend and successfully complete the Training Department’s programs for defensive driving, emergency first aid, forklift operations, overhead crane operations, propane tank handling
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Hourly Wage Range: $28.94 - $37.55 (WG 10) - 40 Hour Work Week
*Plus a skilled trade premium of $0.75 per hour for all regular hours worked.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.