Transit Operator (J.O#10670e)
Last Day to Apply: November 09, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
BUS, STREETCAR & SUBWAY TRANSPORTATION & WHEEL-TRANS DEPARTMENTS
A.T.U., LOCAL 113
** If you previously applied for this position within the last 12 months, you need not reapply as all applications will be considered. Thank you **
** All information on your TalentNest Account (including your resume), must match all of the information on your Driver’s License (i.e. legal first and last names and address) **
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates creating multiple accounts or profiles with submissions of multiple applications to this Job Opportunity is not permitted. For information on how to delete or merge multiple accounts into one account, please contact https://support.talentnest.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Before you submit your application please review the Driver Abstract and Educational Requirements, by clicking on this link: http://www.ttc.ca/Jobs/Transit_Operator_Recruitment/index.jsp
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy.”
We are currently seeking TRANSIT OPERATORS. This is a minimum 40 hour work week. Candidates must be able to work a flexible work schedule involving various shifts: nights, split shifts, weekends, holidays and various off days at the assigned location. Successful candidates will be assigned to operate a specific mode of transit vehicle (e.g. Bus, Streetcar, Subway or Wheel-Trans bus).
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of transit vehicles
- Providing information to customers with respect to fares, service routes, schedules, short-turns, delays, diversions, emergency situations, transit policies and regulations, etc.
- Making announcements to customers such as calling out connecting route locations
- Demonstrating proper and courteous behaviour towards customers in the performance of duties
- Assisting customers with special mobility needs following strict, prescribed procedures for special equipped vehicles and door-to-door pick-up/drop-off and on-board securement of passengers
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within the area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Safety conscious driver with knowledge of the GTA’s major roads, intersections, institutions, etc.
- Prior frontline, face-to-face customer service experience
- Able to read and understand/follow written rules and procedures along with verbal instructions combined with an ability to write legibly
- Demonstrated ability to deal courteously with the public and communicate effectively while providing a service
- Possession of a valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” Driver's Licence in good standing with the ability to meet the TTC’s corporate standard for a good driving record (see Driver’s Abstract Requirements)
- Meet all legislated standards governing the issuance of a Class "CZ" Licence (for Bus Operator) or a Class “E” Licence (for Wheel-Trans Operator)
- Possess a Grade 12 secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent (see Educational Requirements)
- Must successfully pass a medical examination in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation Regulations
- Must pass a cognitive ability aptitude assessment
- Must attend and successfully complete the TTC’s training program for the applicable vehicle operation including passing all practical and written tests
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
- Large commercial vehicle driving experience is considered an asset
HOURLY WAGE RATE: $26.10 - $34.07 (24 MONTH PROGRESSION)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4564.