Assistant Foreperson - Structure Maintenance (J.O#10620ie)
Last Day to Apply: March 13, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
ASSISTANT FOREPERSON – STRUCTURE MAINTENANCE
SUBWAY INFRASTRUCTURE DEPARTMENT
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy.”
We are currently seeking an Assistant Foreperson – Structure Maintenance. This position involves night shifts with Thursday and Friday as off days.
- Providing supervisory assistance by directly managing and supervising hourly-rated maintenance crews in the repair, rehabilitation, maintenance, leak remediation, inspection, drainage, and cleaning of the TTC’s subway tunnels, structures, bridges, elevated guide-ways, retaining walls and miscellaneous structures
- Supervising work involving structural repairs, concrete repairs, concrete forming/finishing work, post-tensioned concrete repair work, surface grinding and finishing, structural steel repairs, steel reinforcement layout and placement, abrasive blast cleaning, structural steel coating, core drilling, cutting etc.
- Assisting the Foreperson with administrative tasks such as completing the daily journal, timekeeping, record keeping, signing stock requisitions, purchase requisitions, vacation/bereavement requests, injury investigations, etc.
- Ensuring employees are familiar and comply with the policies and practices of the TTC with regard to rules, regulations and safe working practices and are properly trained in all aspects of the work and in the operation of any new/modified equipment.
- Providing guidance, advice and on-the-job training for hourly-rated employees
- Ensuring that rules/regulations in the union agreement, Commission and Departmental policies, and government legislation (human rights, labour relations, Occupational Health & Safety Act, etc.) are satisfied and applied fairly and consistently
- Supervising the work of external suppliers and contractors to ensure compliance with TTC guidelines
- Ordering various materials, supplies and equipment and arranging for their distribution at various locations/work sites, ensuring that vital supplies and materials are available for immediate usage
- Supervising water jetting, track drainage system cleaning, set-up and operation of high-pressure power wash and drainage cleaning equipment
- Instructing and directing employees on the correct and safe operation of various demolition tools, compressors, pumps, mixers, hand tools, etc. and when required, recommends employee training requirements to the Foreperson
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- A community college diploma in the field of Civil/Structural Engineering combined with directly related experience in structural concrete repair OR technical knowledge combined with several years of practical and progressive experience in the techniques of structural concrete rehabilitation and repair work
- Knowledge of construction techniques including concrete/structural steel rehabilitation, repair of bridges and structures, etc.
- Previous supervisory experience in transit/railroad or related field would be an asset
- Working knowledge of relevant government legislation including the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other pertinent regulations
- Good organizational, administrative, problem solving, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability read and comprehend detailed construction blueprints, design drawings, sketches and technical specifications
- Ability to direct, motivate and co-ordinate the efforts of a unionized workforce to accomplish objectives
- Must possess a valid class “G” Province of Ontario Driver’s Licence
- The successful candidate may be required to operate their personal automobile to inspect work sites/locations
- The successful candidate will be required to attend and successfully complete training programs related to the work
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Annual Salary Range: $73,236.80 - $91,561.60 (Level 7SA) – 40 Hour Work Week
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.