Senior Construction Inspector (4) (J.O#10490ie)
Last Day to Apply: December 15, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
SENIOR CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR (4)
ENGINEERING, CONSTRUCTION & EXPANSION GROUP
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a Senior Construction Inspector (4).
- Responsible for the inspection, examination, on site work acceptance and preparation of reports on work progress for assigned construction contracts, to ensure all contractual requirements are fulfilled and that the work is performed in accordance with the contract plans and specifications, and applicable by-laws and codes;
- Responsible for ensuring that the Contractor is fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with respect to safety. This involves, but is not limited to, being knowledgeable of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects and Regulations for Industrial Establishments, as well as the TTC’s safety policies and procedures as they apply to the Contract; noting safety infractions that present a direct hazard to the Contractor, TTC operating personnel or the public, taking immediate action and bringing the infraction to the attention of the Construction Site Manager;
- Assisting the Construction Site Manager with the administration of the construction contracts by preparing daily work progress reports and a variety of contract status reports; issuing Contract Deficiency Reports (CDRs) and following up on the resolution of the same; monitoring progress of work against schedules; reviewing monthly contract progress payment requests; following up to obtain answers to Requests for Information (RFIs) and preparing other official correspondence for signature;
- Acting as a liaison between the Contractor, TTC Operations and Maintenance staff, utility companies, local municipalities and other public agencies/regulatory bodies as required;
- Performing traction power cuts and setting up work zones at subway track level as required;
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer;
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Comprehensive knowledge of current construction principles and construction management practices including knowledge of current contract administration, inspections for quality, and claims management techniques;
- Strong knowledge of construction products/materials to ensure quality and correct usage in construction projects;
- Demonstrated experience with construction contract development and enforcement, construction safety, and construction documentation;
- Sound knowledge of construction legislation and regulations, standards and codes, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Construction Lien Act, and other rules and regulations pertinent to the work;
- Sound judgement; strong organizational, administrative, observational and problem solving skills; effective interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills; good PC skills (Microsoft Office);
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work with multi-disciplined teams and maintain effective working relationships;
- A valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s license and use of own vehicle to travel to construction work sites;
- Completion of a (3 year) community college program in a relevant engineering technology discipline, architectural technology, or the possession of a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled construction trade, combined with several years of demonstrated experience in the inspection of medium to heavy construction projects in an urban environment, OR a combination of education and experience deemed equivalent; specialist expertise in one discipline with general knowledge of all disciplines is preferred;
- OACETT certification is an asset;
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $80,007.20 - $100,027.20 (Level 9SA) – 35 Hour Work Week
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.