Senior Engineer - Civil (J.O#10416ie)
Last Day to Apply: October 17, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
SENIOR ENGINEER – CIVIL
ENGINEERING, CONSTRUCTION & EXPANSION GROUP
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a Senior Engineer – Civil.
- Preparing and approving conceptual and final civil engineering designs for pavements, drainage, stormwater management, sewers, watermains, traffic control and staging, and site restoration of transit facilities
- Instructing, supervising, directing and coordinating the work of Design Engineers and Design Draftspersons preparing working drawings and design drawings and specifications for contract documents
- Directing and reviewing the work of external Consultants
- Supervising the production and revision of TTC Standard documents (Standards and Directive Drawings, Master Specifications, Design Manual)
- Supervising and performing field reviews, shop drawing reviews and submittals review
- Representing the Civil Design Section on related matters
- Preparing/presenting various reports and recommendations related to the work
- Supporting obtaining necessary permits and approvals
- Assisting in supervising the section’s day-to-day activities; substituting for the Chief Engineer – Civil as required
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- In-depth knowledge of Civil Engineering principles, methods and practices for the design and construction of civil infrastructure for urban transit systems
- On-site experience and practical knowledge of civil infrastructure construction practice techniques including substantial field review
- Knowledge of project management concepts and practices, and the ability to carry out and/or coordinate projects and studies
- Sound judgement; strong leadership skills; strong analytical, problem solving and organizational abilities; strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication and presentation skills; effective technical report writing skills
- Familiarity with complex computational tools, and general software such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to produce design sketches and work on-line using MicroStation/J software is an asset
- A University Degree in Civil Engineering specializing in municipal design along with extensive experience in a multi-disciplinary work environment including leading design projects where drawings and specifications have been produced by you or under your direction and review
- Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario is mandatory
- Familiarity with Federal/Provincial Acts and Regulations, codes, municipal by-laws, standards and specifications applicable to the work e.g. Ontario Provincial Standards and Specifications, Ministry of Transportation Specifications and Guidelines, City of Toronto Standards and Specifications, as well as work related permits and approvals
- A valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s license, and use of own vehicle for occasional project site visits
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $92,164.80 - $115,260.60 (Level 10SA) – 35 Hour Work Week
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.