General Maintenance Carpenter (2) (Temp) (J.O#10374ie)
Last Day to Apply: September 15, 2017
Employment Type: Temporary Position
GENERAL MAINTENANCE CARPENTER (2) (Temporary)
NIGHT SHIFT TRADES
PLANT MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
ATU LOCAL 113
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a General Maintenance Carpenter (2). These are temporary positions up to 2 years and involve night shifts with Friday/Saturday off days.
- Perform a wide variety of moderately complex carpentry, joining and cabinet making duties necessary to construct, repair, renovate, and maintain structural woodwork such as concrete forms, shoring, hoarding, building framework, trim, stairs, doors, window frames, partitions, walls, ceilings, etc.
- Perform bench carpentry duties such as fabricating and assembling wooden items or components
- Dismantling/demolishing and removing forms, frames, scaffolding, structures and material from construction or repair sites
- Installing and repairing flooring, various types of ceilings in building etc.
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Valid Certificate of qualification as a General Carpenter (403-A) normally obtained through Grade 12 education, plus proof of successful completion of the apprenticeship training programme for the Carpentry trade
- Ability to comprehend verbal and written instructions
- Possession of a valid, non-probationary, Province of Ontario, class “G” driver’s license
- As the successful bidder, you will be required to attend and successfully complete the TTC’s in-house training programs for truck driving and pass the written and practical tests required for a Class "D" Driver's Licence, Subway/SRT Rule Book and WHMIS certification
- Required to provide a set of tools as per the established tool list
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Hourly Rate Range: $28.94 - $37.55 (Wage Group 10) 40 Hour Work Week
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.