General Millwrights - Harvey Shop (2) (J.O#10339ie)
Last Day to Apply: August 16, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
GENERAL MILLWRIGHTS - HARVEY SHOP (2)
BUS MAINTENANCE & SHOPS DEPARTMENT
LODGE 235 - I.A.M.A.W
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking two General Millwrights – Harvey Shop. This position is a 40 hour work week involving afternoon shifts and Saturday/Sunday off days. Work is performed in the Shop, Garages and Carhouses.
- Perform moderately complex installations, preventative maintenance inspections, overhauls, modifications, troubleshooting and repairs to a wide variety of pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanically actuated components and related electrical components on equipment and mechanical tools.
- Fabricate replacement parts and close tolerance fittings.
- Work with other trades when performing major overhauls, modifications, troubleshooting, and/or design and manufacture of special parts and equipment.
- Operate a TTC vehicle to pick up parts and deliver crew, tools and equipment to job site.
- Use a computer / lap top to input and retrieve data / information including the completion of job and time cards, routine forms, records or reports.
- Treats passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensures the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Requires a valid Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Mechanic (Millwright), License 433A and proof of a Certificate of Apprenticeship in Industrial Mechanical (Millwright).
- Requires a valid, non-probationary, Province of Ontario class “G” driver’s license with the ability to obtain a class “DZ” license.
- Successful completion of TTC in-house training for defensive driving, forklift and transfer table vehicle operation, Subway/SRT Rulebook, WHMIS, First Aid/CPR, oxy-acetylene torch operation, fall arrest and safety harness usage, scaffold training, ladder safety, lifting devices usage, and respiratory protection usage. May be required to obtain crane operation certification (0 to 8 tons).
- Must possess a basic knowledge of computers / lap tops and computer software and systems related to the work (e.g. Maximo, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
- Must provide own tools as per the Department’s established tool list.
Hourly Rate Range: $29.38 - $38.50 (Wage Group 11)
Plus a skilled trade premium of $0.35 per hour for all regular hours worked.
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.