Engineering Technologist (J.O#10336ier) - Repost
Last Day to Apply: January 23, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
TECHNICAL SUPPORT SERVICES
BUS MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
*If you previously applied during the original posting period of August 8-21, 2017 no need to reapply as all applications will still be considered. Thank you.
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
The successful candidate will initially be placed in the Technical Support Services section. However, operational needs may necessitate rotation within and between other Engineering Technologist positions and/or locations within the Bus Maintenance Department.
- Performing and providing technical support to those involved in the procurement, inspection, diagnosis, maintenance, repair, overhaul, modification and operation of all operating systems associated with the TTC’s transit and non-revenue rubber tired vehicle fleets
- These fleets consist of standard and low-floor transit buses and non-revenue support vehicles that may be diesel, gasoline, hybrid-electric or alternate fuel powered
- Conducting operational tests and quality inspections, diagnosing, correcting and eliminating non-routine complex problems and failures on all vehicle technology systems particularly including but not limited to electrical, electronic and accessory systems, and as well pneumatic and other mechanical systems
- The work may be performed in a garage, shop or office environment; both indoors and outdoors; additionally, the incumbent may be dispatched to other work sites or on-street locations in order to investigate vehicle problems and incidents or to cover for the absence of other Engineering Technologists
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Sound knowledge of automotive engineering design principles and maintenance practices utilized in modern vehicles and transit fleets
- Detailed knowledge in installed accessory transit bus systems such as destination signage, surveillance cameras, stop announcement systems, passenger counting systems, communication systems, GPS system and wireless data transfer systems, as well as knowledge in transit bus control systems, electrical, electronic, pneumatic, mechanical and air conditioning systems, door systems and hybrid electric propulsion systems
- Knowledgeable of the concepts and practices of vehicle and component testing programs and procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest diagnostic technologies and be able to diagnose and correct failures in any systems and components utilized on automotive powered transit vehicles, trucks, automobiles and related shop equipment
- Sound judgement and well developed analytical, problem solving, personal computing and verbal and written communications skills
- These abilities would normally be acquired by a post-secondary education in the field(s) of electrical/electronic technology or engineering as applicable to and with significant specific knowledge and experience in the automotive industry; alternately, consideration may be given to those with extensive relevant design, testing and/or practical diagnostic and repair experience with transit buses and heavy duty automotive systems. PEO registration as a Professional Engineer, OACETT certification as an Engineering Technologist or possession of a valid Truck & Coach Technician Certificate (310-T) would be considered valued assets
- Must have a valid non-probationary class G license and will be required to use own automobile in order to travel to various work locations away from the home work location, or to attend meetings etc.
- The successful candidate may be required to attend and successfully complete TTC in-house programs for CZ license certification, Direct Current Fundamentals, Automotive Circuits courses and/or obtain alternate fuel system technology and/or ozone depletion licences
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $83,054.50 – $103,792.00 (Level 8SA)
40 Hour Work Week, Saturday/Sunday off days
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.