General Machinist (2) (J.O#10311ier) - Repost
Last Day to Apply: October 16, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
GENERAL MACHINIST (2)
RAIL CARS AND SHOPS DEPARTMENT
ATU, LOCAL 113
*If you previously applied during the original posting period of July 11-17, 2017 no need to reapply as all applications will still be considered. Thank you
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking two General Machinists. These positions are on a 40-hour work-week. Position 1 works swing night shift with swing off-days, primarily on Friday/Saturday. Position 2 works various afternoon shifts with Saturday/Sunday off days.
- Complex work involved in the fabrication, modification and repair of a variety of parts used on tools, equipment and machinery, including rail vehicles used throughout the TTC
- Carrying-out accurate mathematical calculations necessary for the set-up and operation of a variety of machines, such as lathes, milling machines and grinders, in order to cut, shape, drill, turn or perform other machining operations to finish work pieces in accordance with specified dimensions and fine tolerance
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and/or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Certificate of Qualification as a General Machinist (429A), issued by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
- Completion of Grade 12 or its recognized equivalent as determined by the Training Department, plus the successful completion of the apprenticeship training program for the General Machinist
- Must be able to pass tests set by the Operations Group which correspond to content to the knowledge, theory and/or practical requirements set out above
- Must be able to attend and successfully complete the Subway/SRT Rule Book course or the Shop Safety Recertification course
- Must provide a set of tools as per the established tool list.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Hourly Wage Range: $28.94 to $37.55 (Wage Group 10)
Plus a skilled trade premium of $0.75 per hour for all regular hours worked.
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.