General Painter (J.O#10272ie)
Last Day to Apply: June 22, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
NIGHT SHIFT TRADES
PLANT MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
A.T.U., LOCAL 113
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a General Painter. This position is a 40-hour work-week, with Friday and Saturday as off days.
- Preparation and application of paint, wall covering or other finishes to a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces such as plaster, drywall, wood or metal using a variety of techniques including scraping, sanding, brushing, spraying
- Glazing of windows and skylights and the making of engraved signs
- Set up and operate a computerized engraving machine and a bevelling machine in the manufacture of signs; may install signs upon completion
- Drive Commission vehicle to transport crew and equipment to work locations; operate forklift for loading and unloading materials
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and/or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Valid Certificate of Qualification as a Painter & Decorator (Branch 1) Residential & Commercial (404-C) plus proof of successful completion of the apprenticeship training programme
- Must have a valid class "G" Ontario Driver's Licence
- As required under Ontario Regulation 490/09, of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, a selected candidate must successfully satisfy a pre-employment medical examination, test fitting and training for breathing respirators in order to be considered for this job
- Must take instruction and pass the written and driving tests set by the Operations Training Centre for the required operation of Commission vehicles; also for forklift operation
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Note: A copy of your valid Painter and Decorator (Branch 1) Residential & Commercial (404-C) Certificate of Qualification must be submitted with your application
Hourly Wage Range: $28.11 - $36.47 (Wage Group 09) – 40 Hour Work Week
*Plus a skilled trade premium of $0.75 per hour for all regular hours worked
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.