Transit Operator (J.O#10158ie)
Last Day to Apply: September 30, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
BUS, STREETCAR & SUBWAY TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENTS
A.T.U., LOCAL 113
** If you previously applied for this position within the last 12 months, you need not reapply as all applications will be considered. Thank you **
** All information (including your resume) on your TalentNest Account, must match all of the information on your Driver’s License (i.e. legal name and address) **
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates creating multiple accounts or profiles with submissions of multiple applications to this Job Opportunity is not permitted. For information on how to delete or merge multiple accounts into one account, please contact https://support.talentnest.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Before you submit your application please review the Driver Abstract and Educational Requirements, by clicking on this link: http://www.ttc.ca/Jobs/Transit_Operator_Recruitment/index.jsp
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking TRANSIT OPERATORS. This is a minimum 40 hour work week and candidates must be able to work a flexible work schedule involving various shifts: nights, split shifts, weekends, holidays and various off days at the assigned location.
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of transit vehicles, and dealing courteously with customers as a front line employee
- Providing information to customers with respect to fares, service routes, schedules, short-turns, delays, diversions, emergency situations, transit policies and regulations, etc.
- Making announcements to customers such as calling out connecting route locations
- Demonstrating proper and courteous behaviour towards customers in the performance of duties
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within the area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from theTTCas a service provider and an employer
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Safety conscious driver
- Prior frontline, face-to-face customer service experience
- Able to read and understand/follow written rules and procedures along with verbal instructions combined with an ability to write legibly
- Demonstrated ability to deal courteously with the public and communicate effectively while providing a service
- Possession of a valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” Driver's Licence in good standing and meet the corporate standard for a good driving record
- Meet all legislated standards governing the issuance of a Class "CZ" Licence (for Bus Operator)
- Possess a grade 12 secondary school diploma or the equivalent
- Must successfully pass a medical examination in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation Regulations
- Must pass a cognitive ability aptitude assessment
- Your employment and attendance records at the TTC must be in good standing
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
- Large commercial vehicle driving experience is considered an asset
HOURLY WAGE RATE: $26.10 - $34.07 (24 MONTH PROGRESSION)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Hiring and selection preferences are not given in the employment of an employee’s relatives. Relatives of current TTC employees cannot be hired, assigned transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a potential conflict of interest due to relationship. If you are qualified for the position for which you are applying, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee at the employment interview.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.