Computer Systems Specialist (J.O. #8617ie)
Computer Systems Specialist
Communications Engineering Section
Plant Maintenance Department
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
We are currently seeking a Computer Systems Specialist.
- Utilize technical expertise to produce, define, maintain and trouble shoot system problems, configure, produce, enhance or replace network based control and communication systems including the Transit Control Centre (TCC), SCADA, Central Train Signaling systems, Integrated Communications systems, etc.;
- Prepare related documentation for the acquisition of new and/or amended systems and databases and ensure compliance with TTC standards, policies and practices;
- Evaluate and conduct economic and technical feasibility studies, review technical literature and prepare recommendations;
- Assist in system, database and change management administration;
- Provides technical support and expertise to users and Technicians;
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of network design including switches and routing protocols, network trouble shooting, network intrusion detection and firewalls;
- Thorough knowledge of Operating Systems that may include Unix, OpenVMS, Windows server 2008, and database design and administration for Oracle 11g and/or MS SQL servicer in a Real Time Control System environment;
- Ability to produce applications and reports using Power Builder, C++, .Net, Java or other object oriented programming languages, Oracle Format Reports, Access and Crystal Reports is a definite asset;
- A University Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or the equivalent, combined with eight to ten years of directly related work experience;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, standards and practices for establishing and maintaining computer infrastructure for “real time” controls and database environment;
- Good knowledge of applicable models, data dictionary, computer operating systems, hardware, software and related applications;
- Solid knowledge of application development and maintenance projects/methodologies and structured techniques for applications and database analysis, design and programming in a Client/Server or Web environment;
- Sound judgement; effective verbal and written communication skills; and strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to plan and conduct feasibility studies, design systems, test applications and prepare system specifications and documentation;
- Must have or acquire knowledge of TTC and departmental policies and procedures applicable to the work performed;
- Must have or acquire knowledge of the systems and databases related to the TCC and other areas applicable to the work performed;
- You must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $75,748.40 - $94,731.00 (Level 9SA)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.