Design Engineer - Signals (J.O. #8609ie)
Design Engineer - Signals
Rail Infrastructure Department
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a DESIGN ENGINEER - SIGNALS
- Providing engineering design expertise in relation to the Commission’s rail signalling and train control systems
- Preparing engineered calculations, designs, drawings and specifications for planned and emergency work
- Tracking all assigned engineering deliverables; solving design problems using standard engineering practices, procedures and/or modifications
- Checking and approving signalling and train control designs prepared by external consultants or TTC design staff
- Assisting in the overall co-ordination of projects; testing and commissioning new rail signalling and train control systems
- Checking and approving drawings for technical content and signing same in accordance with Professional Engineers of Ontario regulations
- Provide engineering support and guidance to maintenance staff on a 24-hour basis
- Responsible for treating passengers and employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within the area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Sound knowledge of electrical or systems engineering principles, methods and practices
- Sound knowledge of signalling design principles and signalling equipment, vital circuits and systems including Computer Based Interlocking and Communications Based Train Control systems
- Good working knowledge of signal system testing methods, testing equipment, computers, real-time networks and vital on-line applications and other associated rail signalling equipment
- Sound judgement and well-developed technical, analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, verbal communication and engineering report writing skills
- Must be computer literate with a strong knowledge of PCs and software applications related to the work (e.g. CADD, MS Office, MS Word, Windows XP, Excel etc.)
- Strong knowledge of the Electrical Safety Authority Code, AREMA Signal Manual of Recommended Practices and other applicable codes/practices/standards, the TTC’s rail signalling systems and associated electrical/electronic equipment
- A University Degree in Electrical Engineering or the equivalent, combined with many years of directly related experience
- Registration with the Professional Engineers of Ontario is mandatory
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Annual Salary Range: $75,748.40 - $94,731.00 (Level 9).
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.