Manager - Safety & Security (J.O. #8608ie)
Manager – Safety & Security
Capital Programming Department
Engineering, Construction & Expansion Group
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
The Engineering, Construction & Expansion (ECE) Group is accountable for developing, improving and expanding the network, by delivering on specific plans for an affordable expansion program that matches capacity to ever-growing ridership.
Reporting to the Head of Capital Programming, the Manager – Safety & Security is responsible for developing, implementing, coordinating and monitoring comprehensive safety and security functions and programs to support all ECE Group projects and activities. This includes, but is not limited to occupational health, safety and security certification, fire safety, environmental protection, and hazard and risk assessment, working in concert with the TTC’s Safety & Environment Department, and Transit Enforcement Unit, as appropriate. As the ECE Group’s primary Safety professional, you continually promote and maintain a safe and secure work environment, providing leadership, expertise, interpretation, advice and support on policies, procedures, processes, legislation, regulatory requirements, industry standards, as well as related actions needed to maintain acceptable safety and security effectiveness. You also manage the day-to-day activities of the Construction Safety Officers specific to construction projects under the TTC’s capital program.
- Providing technical expertise during engineering design reviews, construction contract document preparation, testing and commissioning activities, etc., for ensuring acceptable safety and security requirements are met;
- Conducting oversight of the Contractor’s Safety Policy and Program System;
- Developing and overseeing the Safety and Security Certification Program for capital projects, as required;
- Performing audits of the oversight activity by the Construction Safety Officers for ascertaining the Contractor’s compliance with the Contractor/Site Specific Safety Policy and Safety Plans, and safety codes, standards, regulations, etc.;
- Directing the internal Safety Audit of the ECE Group in accordance with the TTC System Safety Plan;
- Conducting and/or overseeing complex accident/incident investigations, preparing root cause analysis reports with specific recommendations and lessons learned to prevent recurrence;
- Providing technical support and guidance to the ECE Group Joint Health & Safety Committees; representing the ECE Group in various committees/meetings to address and resolve occupational health/safety/security matters;
- Treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- In-depth knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation (e.g. Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects, Industrial Establishments; Workplace Safety and Insurance Act), Ontario Ministry of Labour operations/services, industry-specific standards & practices, and rules and regulations established by relevant authorities;
- Strong understanding of engineering principles and practices for reviewing safety and security elements in the design and construction of large infrastructure projects;
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable construction safety practices, environmental program requirements, and field safety inspections and compliance auditing;
- Highly developed organizational and analytical abilities; superior oral /written communication, interpersonal, facilitation and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to lead, use sound judgement, solve problems and make decisions;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software;
- University Degree in Engineering, or the equivalent, combined with extensive experience in public transit, that includes progressive and senior supervisory responsibility for design review, developing safety certification programs, and construction safety oversight programs;
- Must have or be able to obtain accreditation by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario is preferred;
- A valid Province of Ontario Class “G” driver’s license, and the use of own vehicle;
- Ability to wear protective equipment, and work in a variety of on-site environments/conditions;
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $105,869.40 - $132,350.40 (Level 12)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, theTTCencourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.