Design Draftsperson - Mechanical (J.O. #8576e)
Design Draftsperson – Mechanical
Engineering, Construction & Expansion Group
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
The Engineering, Construction & Expansion Group is accountable for developing, improving and expanding the network, by delivering on specific plans for an affordable expansion program that matches capacity to ever-growing ridership.
This position reports to the Senior Engineer – Mechanical.
- Preparing preliminary and final mechanical engineering drawings using CADD methods, and providing general design support for various projects related to industrial building services of transit facilities;
- Laying out and preparing design drawings from TTC design standards, engineers’ notes, rough sketches and verbal instructions;
- Checking drawings against design requirements to ensure accuracy and completeness;
- Determining general routing, arrangement and sizing of piping, ducting and equipment, and interferences;
- Retrieving and reviewing existing facility drawings and specifications;
- Visiting project sites to determine and record existing conditions;
- Conducting web searches, liaising with various manufacturing companies to collect technical information;
- Liaising and coordinating design work and interferences with other Engineering Department sections;
- Treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Sound knowledge of Microstation drafting and design principles, methods and practices applicable to mechanical building services specializing in drafting of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, plumbing, drainage, fire protection systems;
- Additional experience in drafting fleet servicing equipment (i.e. fluid distribution, storage tanks, etc.), escalators, hoisting/conveying equipment, and emergency ventilation systems related to the underground tunnels and stations is an asset;
- Good knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and other applicable codes and regulations, and building construction practices;
- Proficiency in computer aided drafting specifically with the use of Microstation software and associated computerized applications;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; good organizational and verbal communication skills;
- A Community College (2 year) Technician Diploma in the field of Mechanical Engineering Technology combined with several years of related drafting experience;
- Experience working with TTC CADD standards or other related corporate CADD standards, in a multi-discipline design environment;
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $60,697.00 - $75,857.60 (Level 7)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.