Design Engineer - Electrical (J.O. #8575e)
Design Engineer – Electrical
Engineering, Construction & Expansion Group
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
The Engineering, Construction & Expansion Group is accountable for developing, improving and expanding the network, by delivering on specific plans for an affordable expansion program that matches capacity to ever-growing ridership.
This position reports to the Senior Engineer – Electrical.
- Preparing conceptual and final electrical engineering designs for transit related structures and facilities;
- Providing guidance and direction to, and reviewing the work of Design Draftspersons and Engineering Technologists;
- Preparing contract documents e.g. specifications and drawings, etc.;
- Conducting investigations and studies;
- Assisting to plan and coordinate projects;
- Reviewing the work of outside consultants;
- Assisting to prepare standard drawings;
- Performing field reviews and shop drawing reviews of projects under construction and/or design;
- Representing the section on development reviews;
- Taking professional responsibility for designs as required by Professional Engineers Ontario;
- Treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Engineering (Building Services) principles, methods, and practices for the design and construction of major electrical systems related to transit facilities such as buildings, subway stations, carhouses, garages, shops;
- Strong working knowledge of the electrical equipment, transformers, switchgear, equipment fault protection, control, annunciation, fire protection, lighting, emergency power, power distribution, associated equipment and systems with specific knowledge of their application to the TTC’s electrical building services and its facilities;
- Comprehensive working knowledge of applicable codes/practices/standards including the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, Ontario Building Code, Electrical Safety Authority regulations, Canadian Standards Association, Occupational Health & Safety Act, and how they relate to the TTC’s electrical systems and the associated electrical/electronic equipment;
- Sound judgement; well developed analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, verbal communication, and engineering report writing skills; proficiency with a personal computer, and Microsoft Office Suite; also familiarization with MicroStation CADD;
- A University Degree in Electrical Engineering specializing in electrical systems combined with several years of directly related work experience in a multidiscipline design environment;
- Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario;
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
Annual Salary Range: $75,748.40 - $94,731.00 (Level 9).
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.