Senior Engineer - Mechanical (J.O. #8731ie)
Senior Engineer - Mechanical
Work Order Design Section
Plant Maintenance Department
Guided by a new and ambitious Corporate Plan, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), North America’s 3rd largest transit system, has embarked on a 5-year journey to transform into a transit system that makes Toronto proud. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are strategically aligned with the TTC’s corporate mission “to provide a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar, and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service, and courtesy”.
We are currently seeking a Senior Engineer – Mechanical.
- Provide complex mechanical engineering expertise for One Time Work Order Design projects involving repair, renovation and/or rehabilitation work on mechanical systems in the TTC’s building facilities.
- Perform and supervise the production of mechanical designs by preparing drawings/specifications.
- Direct and check the work of staff and external consultants to ensure accuracy, compliance with TTC standards, operational needs, etc.
- Participate in all aspects of construction and post-construction support which involves conducting tests and measurements on mechanical equipment, resolving design problems and construction issues.
- Conduct investigations, studies, analyses, etc. related to the work.
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers and/or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within your area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Registration as a licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer in Ontario.
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering principles related to mechanical building systems/services, methods and practices for the design, repair and construction of building facilities, structures and equipment.
- Expertise in the areas of HVAC, plumbing, drainage and fire protection systems related to buildings and transit facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out and/or coordinate projects and studies; and supervise engineering professionals.
- Must be computer literate and have a working knowledge of relevant PC based programs related to the work and be familiar with MicroStation or AutoCAD drafting programs.
- Sound judgement, well developed analytical and problem solving abilities, good interpersonal, verbal communication and technical report writing skills.
- Design experience with subway transit systems and facilities as well as knowledge of TTC Design Manuals and Standards is an asset.
- Specialized experience in high pressure piping, bulk fluid storage and distribution systems, vehicle hoists, cranes, emergency tunnel ventilation and/or smoke control systems, elevators and escalators is an asset.
- Knowledge of equipment as used in vehicle repair facilities is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in mechanics and design of general equipment supports is an asset.
- Must have or acquire Subway/SRT Rule Book certification and complete other training related to the work.
- These abilities would normally be acquired by obtaining a university degree in mechanical engineering, or the equivalent, combined with several years of directly related experience at an engineer’s responsibility level.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Annual Salary Range: $87,287.20 - $109,145.40 (Level 10SA)
At the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), we place a high value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day, and we keep Toronto moving with a dedication to service, safety and convenience that is unparalleled in our industry. We invite you to join our team in delivering on our commitment to creating a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal People, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.